Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The Big Apple

(Friday) April 30th-May 2nd (Sunday)
I took a fabulous trip to NYC with my parents and a few of my sisters to attend the "American Mothers Conference" where they name the 2010 National Mother of the Year. And since my mother is so amazing and was up for the title, I decided it was worth a trip to NYC with some of my sisters!!
Everyone flew in the night before but since I'm on the same time zone as NYC and everyone else is 3 hrs behind... it worked out perfectly for me to just meet them early Friday morning. Thank you sweet Necia for taking me to the airport at 5:45am and fo surprising me with the most healthy and delicious breakfast, an apple new favorite snack in the world... BoBo's Oat bars (strawberry flavor). It was the perfect way to ease back into food sinceI had just finished my 10 day lemonade/cayanne/maple syrup cleanse the night before. Anyway, I took a taxi to the hotel, they were just finishing breakfast when I walked into the lobby, dropped off my stuff at the room, and then we were off for the day.
After we hit up China town and looked at every single purse in every single shop, we stopped at this cute bakery. Of course I can't remember the name of it, but I got a fabulous canoli and shared it with Papa Bear.

If I am ever blessed with a daughter, her name will be... Sofia.

Took a ferry to see Lady Liberty!

Now THAT is a hat O hair :)

Stopped at a little cart and stuffed our faces with mouth watering gyros. I LOVE falafel!!

In front of the New York stock exchange... with our moola!!



Shopping made us all very tired, but Jenica and JaNae got to take a little nap on the nice soft concrete, while Amber and I bought Donald Trump ties for our hubbies!!

We ate dinner that night at Lombardi, the first pizzaria ever in America. It was fantastically delicious. Pizza is my favorite food (... am I 4 years old?). No but really, it is!

This oven was built in 1905 and they are still using is 105 years later!

Times Square Hard Rock Cafe!!
Jenica, Me, Ashlyn

NYPD were posing for pictures. When one of my sisters asked, "Why are NYC policemen so famous?" He answered with a smurk and a scoff and said with his thick NYC accent, "Come on!?! We're the NYPD!!" I'm pretty sure the one on the left had the hots for Amber... he let her wear his hat with the agreement that "I'll need that back ma'am".

We made it to the M&M store. Every kind and color you could ever possibly want. Peanut butter, mini, pretzel, almond, plain, peanut, holiday colors, some sports team colors... It. Was. Awesome!!!

First time in Serendipity. And their menus were GIANT.

Seriously?? $1,000 for DESSERT???

Amber and I enjoying the frozen hot chocolate. It was not at all what I expected. It was... interesting. I liked the peanut butter brownie sundae much better, but that's just me.
Jana, Me, Jenica, Adena, Ashlyn, JaNae, Amber, Erica
It was a beautiful night, so we decided to walk back to our hotel. I was exhausted that night for some reason (probably because I hadn't eaten for 10 days...) NOT a good way to start the trip.
That night we crowned mom as OUR mother of the year. We gave her a gold pin (in her hand) that says "MOM" with a crown on top! She's the best.

Each of these ladies are "mother of the year" in their respective states. They each gave a 3 minute speech on what they thought were the facets of Motherhood. My mom's speech was incredible if I do say so myself!. It was very inspiring to be there.

Us after all the speeches were done.

We changed into more comfy clothes and headed back out to enjoy the city. Half of us went to Carnegie Deli and got everyone lunch...

Now THAT is a sandwich!!
Unfortunatley, Tony Shalhoub was not there to grace us with his presence, like he was last time!!

While the other half headed down to get cheap broadway tickets to Mary Poppins. 3 Ruebens and one Roast beef sandwich later, we were all stuffed and completely satisfied :)

This clan went to the show...
Amber, JaNae, Dad, Adena, Jenica, Ashy

While Jana and I toured a little more of the city.
There were only 6 tickets to the show. It actually worked out well because Jana didn't want to go (she had already seen in on broadway) and I had just gone to Wicked the night before I left for NYC and didn't feel like I needed to go again... WHAT was that logic?!?! Looking back now, I say, "What was I thinking?? Who cares if I just went to Wicked, you never get to see a show for $50 on broadway IN NYC!" But, I didn't feel like I "needed" to go so oh well, it's over and done. John will take me back someday and besides that Jana and I had a great time.
PS, we're at SAKS 5th Ave and my hat costs $350... just incase you were wondering.
High School Musical: "Get me my Jimmy Choo flip flops..."
some day... maybe... but probably not.
I had never been in FAO Schwartz before, so that was pretty fun. This gigantic soldier is made entirely out of Jelly Bellys.
I did not get to see enough of Erica this trip!! She was here with here mom and sisters as well. Erica was actually the young vocalist of the year so she performed at all of the events we went to. Anyway, we joined the Sandstrom sisters for an ice cream cone in Central Park.

Central Park was gorgeous the beginning of May!
That night we got all fancy for the big dinner (announcing next year's American Mother).
Mom had to sit at the "special" long table with all other candidates. Which worked out quite nicely because the rest of us all fit at one table!!
All of the food was beautiful, but the dessert was the best. An edible box of chocolate full of fresh raspberries and chocolate moose... it was so elegant. Appetizer was salmon wrapped around cabbage salad, dinner was filet mignon with steamed asparagus and a potato casserole that was layers with thin slices of potatoes and a strong cheese... SO good. All of it was amazing.
Although Mom wasn't "named" mother of the year we were still celebrating being there all together. Mrs. California won and we were all very happy with that choice. She was one of my top 3 and will be a wonderful representative. She's the blond in the cream suit in the back of that group shot.

Beautiful chandaleer in the lobby of our hotel...The Waldorf Astoria.
After the dinner was over, we got BACK into our street clothes and went looking for the "real" purses!! Prada, Gucci, Coach... showing off our goods!! We were so glad Mom finally got to come with us. She'd been in meetings the whole weekend so now that it was over, she got to come out with us :)
Ashy and I heading back to our room to enjoy strawberry NY cheesecake from Carnagie Deli.
You know when you hit one of those walls where EVERYTHING is just funny??
Well, we hit it. Hard.
Ashy and Jen headed back early in the morning to Utah while the rest of us got to go to church. At church we saw Kirsten (Walker) Birmingham. Her and her husband Steve are living in this ward for a few years.
After church, another walk through Central Park before our flights home.

Me, Adena, JaNae

Goodbye hotel. You were as beautiful as you are cracked up to be.

Welcome Home!! Raleigh, NC... and all of her trees.
The boys enjoyed their "prizes from mommy's suitcase".
Jack is really into hats lately.
Jonah's onsie says, "Party, my room 2:00AM. Bring your own Bottle"

He's making some phone calls and hookin up with the ladies!!

NYC was a blast!! I'm so thankful to have a husband who knows how much I value those memories with my family and then helps make it possible for me to go. AND huge thank you to those who helped out in Durham with my boys while I was gone. You're all great.

1 comment:

Allison said...

I would like to personally thank you for pictures and descriptions of the food. Huge congratulations to your obviously fabulous mother, you look incredible, yes you are dumb for not going to Mary Poppins, and the part of this post that got my heart racing was the picture of the M&M store. I went to the one in Vegas and oh.... I almost wet my pants.